Monday, January 19, 2009

My Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies

 Well... everyone thinks they are famous, but really I just revamped the back of the Toll house chocolate chip recipe with shortening, less salt, and my favorite chocolate chips. I also use dairy free carob chips for my son's cookies, and milk chocolate chips for everyone else. If you are wanting to impress someone, I SWEAR by Ghirardelli brand milk chocolate jumbo chips. I hate using any other kind- they are divine and well worth the price. Here's a trick that we do in my home so that we don't eat them all at once. Bake up as many as you want for that night, then roll the rest into individual balls, stick them on a baking sheet or a casserole dish and stick them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes is up, you can then dump all of the balls into a freezer ziplock and store them in your freezer without them clumping together. I will usually make a whole batch without chocolate chips, or with carob chips and then just label the ziplock "Scott's cookies". Then anytime we are eating a cookie he can't have, I'll pop a few of his into the oven. Sidenote: You might laugh at the 7/8 cup of shortening, but I learned in my food science class from college that technically if you are substituting shortening or margarine for 1 cup of true butter, you are suppose to use 7/8 cup. And it works, trust me!

My Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 2-3 dozen depending on the size

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (I usually tap off a little less)
1 cup minus a big spoonful of shortening (about 7/8 cup) or try coconut oil!
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 package of carob or milk chocolate chips

Combine flour, soda and salt in a separate bowl
Beat shortening, sugars, and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
Stir in morsels and drop onto tablespoon fulls onto ungreased cookie sheets
Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes

1 comment:

Brooke said...

YUUMMM! these are the best!!especially when you put them in the freezer so then in a a couple weeks (or days in my case) you can just pop them in the oven! i loveeee these cookies =)