Thursday, May 20, 2010

Homemade Pretzels

Okay so in my Parents magazine this month they had a recipe for homemade pretzels and I've been wanting to make them ever since. Then I saw some more behind the baking counter at Sams, so I woke up the next morning craving them. The recipe used whole wheat dough, which I'm sure would be great, but I wanted the traditional "mall" recipe, so I ended up with this recipe. These pretzels taste and have the exact same texture and chewiness of the ones at the mall (like at Pretzelmaker). So delicious! I was planning on making half and freezing the rest, but my husband, 2 kids and I ended up eating all 12 in one day! (and made up for it with salads for dinner!) I did 6 with cinnamon and sugar and 6 with course salt. My kids and I had so much fun making these and I let them make their own shapes too. One pointer, it's much easier to get the dough to stretch if you form it in your hands hanging rather than on the counter. I even swung mine around a few times...like I said before-they were fun to make! I think this is definitely going to be a family favorite for a long time!

Homemade Mall Pretzels
Recipe adapted from Jeannie Yee @ allrecipes.com
Makes 12
Printable Version with Picture
Printable Version without Picture

1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 tablespoons baking soda

2 tablespoons butter or dairy free margarine, melted
coarse kosher salt, garlic salt, cinnamon and sugar or other seasonings


In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
(The dough will be super sticky, but don't add any more flour or it will change the texture of the pretzels)
Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.

Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan.
After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution. Place on parchment covered cookie sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.

1 comment:

the MARTIN and BROOK Cook Family said...

Nicole! Oh my heaven! I think I just found heaven in your blog!! Not only do all these pictures of food, that belongs in food magazine look wonderful, but my one year old son has dairy allergies and I have struggled introducing anything new to him! Thank heaven for you! I think I am going to make these pretzels this weekend! They look wonderful! I hope you are enjoying Cache Valley!! We sure do miss it up there! It seems that you are doing a wonderful job at being a MOM!