Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Simple Peach Cobbler

I will use the excuse that I'm pregnant when I say I've made a cobbler every week for a month now. Monday's indulgence was my husband's simple peach cobbler. He cooked for me often when we were dating in college, and this was usually the dessert of choice. Below I linked to my favorite cobbler from scratch, but I want to make sure everyone has this SIMPLE and great tasting recipe! (I did end up marrying him...so it obviously impressed me). This recipe is traditionally made in a dutch oven. Because it only has 3 ingredients, it's perfect for camping trips. You can also just use a 9X13 pan and do it at home like I did.
Here is my favorite apple cobbler made from scratch. Just substitute soy milk and dariy free margarine in place of the milk and butter and I promise-nobody will ever know it's dairy free!
Sidenote: I have found both Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix and Cherrybrook Kitchen Cake Mixes to be dairy free. Click on the names for the online ingredients.


Simple Peach Cobbler
Recipe from Kevin aka "hubby"


1 box of dairy free yellow cake mix
2 small cans or 1 big can peaches with juices (about 1 quart)
1 cube dairy free margarine (or butter if no allergies)


Spray a 9 by 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Pour the peaches into the casserole along with their juices. (If you bought halved peaches you may want to cut them down to smaller slices.) Dump out the cake mix on top of the peaches and spread it out so that there's even coverage. Slice the cube of margarine/butter into thin slices and cover the top of the cake. You want to cut them pretty thin so that each area will be covered and get moist in the oven. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. Serve as is or with some soy, rice or regular ice cream and enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could try the new Betty Crocker GF yellow cake mix. I'm sure it would be great!

My 3-year-old son had severe eczema until he was diagnosed with food allergies a few months back. I have a blog that shares our family’s battles with eczema, allergies, and asthma (yes, lucky guy has that too).

I think the key is to learn from one another, so the more information out there to the masses, the better. With this in mind I’ve started a blog hop for anyone dealing with allergies, eczema, or asthma, either for themselves or as a caregiver. If you’re interested in joining, please add a comment. I’d love to welcome you to the group. http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/


Thanks.
Jennifer