Monday, April 20, 2009

"Chilis" Chicken Fajitas

My friend Melanie brought these over for dinner after I had my daughter Hailey, and I've been making them at least once a month ever since. I always use chicken breasts and marinade them overnight. If you don't have a grill, just get out a big skillet sprayed with nonstick and get to work. I've done it that way more than grilling just because of the cold weather. They are so juicy and absolutely divine! I love to serve these with chips and guacamole. My guacamole recipe (actually my sister Candice's) is simple- buy a carton of pico de gallo, mashed avocados and fresh lime juice. I do about 1 cup pico for every 2 avocados, but you really just mix it up to your liking- just don't forget lots of lime juice-yum! Another tip if you love restaurant style chips, you can go to your favorite Mexican restaurant and ask for chips and salsa to go. Our local restaurant Cafe Sabor gives you a carton of salsa and huge bag of fresh chips for $5. You can't beat that! Don't forget sliced avacados for your fajitas-it's a must.

Chili's Fajita Marinade
Recipe adapted from Mel @ mykitchencafe

Marinade:
¼ c fresh lime juice
1/3 c water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 large minced cloves garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
3 tsp vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp liquid smoke
¼ tsp black pepper
dash onion powder or flakes

1 to 1 ½ lbs chicken breast or top sirloin
1 yellow onion
2 red, yellow or green bell peppers
1 tomato (optional)
1 tsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp water (omit the water if you use frozen peppers)
½ tsp lime juice
dash of salt and pepper

Combine all the marinade ingredients. Marinade chicken or beef for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Grill 4-5 minutes per side. Slice onion, peppers and tomato and fry in a preheated fry pan at medium high heat until softened but still crisp, not soggy! Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Cook another 3-4 minutes. Slice meat thinly and add back into the pan with the peppers and onions. Serve in tortillas with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, etc.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm glad this has become a staple recipe for you. And I had no idea Cafe Sabor did the chips and salsa thing - great info to store away!