Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Breadcrumbs

Breadcrumbs
When I first started cooking dairy free I threw out all of my recipes that had breadcrumbs in them, because I couldn't find any breadcrumbs at the store that didn't contain dairy. I'm sure most of you are laughing at me right now, but for those who actually didn't know you can make your own breadcrumbs (I'm with you!) here's the easy how to.
For soft fluffy breadcrumbs, use a blender or food processor. One slice makes about 3/4 cup crumbs.
For fine dry breadcrumbs, cut bread slices into 1 inch cubes (a pizza cutter works great here if you have one). Arrange the 1/2 inch cubes in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice. Let cool. Place in a food processor or blender; cover and process or blend into fine crumbs. One slice makes about 1/4 cup fine dry crumbs.
You can add Italian spices or any other spices to the crumbs if you would like to.

No comments: