Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Savory Pepper Steak

Wow! Has this month been crazy for anybody else? We've had 2 birthdays, doctors visits and well checkups, dentist appointments, company visiting, Christmas, vacation and much much more! That's why I love crockpot recipes because you can throw them together in the morning and not have to worry about anything until you are ready to eat! I'll have to add a picture to this one when I get back from vacation, but I had to share this great recipe a friend gave me. I think I used London Broil, cooked it on low for 8 hours and I also added the thickened flour/water mixture at the end. It was delicious and oh so tender!

Savory Pepper Steak
Recipe from Holly Weston

1 1/2 lbs beef round steak or London Broil, 1/2" thick
1/4 c. flour
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 large green or red bell peppers (one of each if you'd like)
1 14 1/2-oz. can whole tomatoes (I used petite diced)
1 Tbsp. beef bouillon
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
6 c. hot rice

Cut steak into strips about 1/4-inch wide. Combine flour and pepper; toss with steak strips to coat thoroughly. Add to slow cooker with onion, garlic and half of bell pepper strips. Stir. Combine tomatoes with beef bouillon granules, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Pour into slow cooker, moistening meat. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. One hour before serving, turn to high, reove cooked bell pepper strips and stir in remaining fresh bell pepper strips. If thickened gravy is desired, make a smooth paste of 3 Tbsp. flour and 3 Tbsp. water; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook until thickened. Serve over hot fluffy rice. Serves 6.

1 comment:

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

How did you know I have been craving pepper steak? This sounds delish!