Thursday, February 4, 2010

Egg Rolls with Sweet and Sour Sauce

I haven't made these egg rolls since I was a newly wed trying to impress my husband, mostly because they are a lot more work than I can commit to with 2 kids running around. The other night my husband and I were watching a discovery show that went into the background of how commercial egg rolls were made. You might blame it on the fact that I only have 2 weeks left in my pregnancy, but I have been craving egg rolls ever since! I vowed to make them this week and pulled out my trusty recipe I got from a cooking class in college. They were absolutely wonderful! The sweet and sour sauce I made to pair with the egg rolls is super easy and I think its really "light" compared to a lot of sweet and sour sauces, which doesn't take away from the flavors of the egg rolls. Yum! I can garentee I won't go as long this time before making them again (even if I will have 3 kids by then!)
Egg Rolls
Recipe from Shawna Shirley

1 pound very lean ground pork
1/2 tsp salt, divided
2 tsp ginger
4 cups chopped cabbage
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 tsp Hoisin sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
garlic powder
Lumpia or egg roll wrappers (found in the refrigerated produce aisle)
oil for frying

Mix pork with the ginger and 1/4 tsp of the salt. Brown and drain. Stirfry cabbage, onion and celery in about 1 Tbsp veggie oil. Add hoisin sauce, soy sauce and the rest of the salt. Add the pork and shake garlic powder over entire mixture; stir. Lay out a wrapper diagonal in front of you and fill about 1/3 cup of filling (depending on how big your wrappers are) into the middle (a bit closer to the bottom than the top though). Fold up the bottom triangle and tuck under the filling then proceed to roll up the egg roll, folding in the sides and tucking them in. Moisten the top triangle with either water or egg yolks and roll and seal it up. Fry until golden brown.




Quick Light Sweet and Sour Sauce


3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch

Cook until thick and bubbly. Add a few squirts of ketchup for color.

No comments: