Monday, June 28, 2010

DIY Salsa

This recipe was in my magazine this month, so I figured I would give it a try. I've canned salsa a few times in college, but let's face it-it's much easier to buy the jarred stuff! (especially with 3 little tykes running around). When I thought about how much sodium the store bought salsa has compared to this easy stuff, I might start making it myself just for my kids' health. I'm sure there are a million salsa recipes out there! This one was super easy and really mild for kids. It's more of a pico de gallo type of salsa if you ask me. If you like it with more heat, add more chile. If you don't have a food processor, just get out your sharp knife and get to work. I think the biggest perk to doing it yourself, besides it being low sodium, is that you can choose your chunkiness. I did mine really fine so the kids devoured it!

DIY Salsa
Recipe from Good Housekeeping June 2010
Makes 3 cups

15 sprigs cilantro
1 serrano chile, ribs and seeds discarded
1 small clove garlic
1/2 small white onion, cut in quarters
6 rips plum tomatoes (about 1 pound) cored and cut into quarters
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
salt

In food processor, with knife blade attached, pulse cilantro, chile, and garlic until very finely chopped. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
Place onion in food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to bowl with the cilantro.
Place tomatoes in food processor; pulse until chopped. Transfer to bowl with onion. Add lime juice and salt, and stir until well mixed. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

No comments: