Sunday, April 17, 2011

Asian Chicken Skewers

 
 These chicken skewers are so amazing! Let me tell you right now if you want to get your kids off the habit of dunking their meats in ketchup or other sauces, put it on a stick. That combined with the fact that this chicken is super super moist makes it a definite kid pleaser. When I made these last month my kids left me with one measly stick for myself, so this time I doubled the meat thinking I would get more but they still out ate me...even my 3 year old ate 3 sticks of meat. I like to serve mine over some brown rice drizzled with some more of the sauce and some steamed veggies. Lite and oh so yummy! Make sure you check first to see if your sticks fit in your slow cooker, I always cut mine down. Also I'm sure you could grill these and I've been dying to try them that way but we haven't gotten a new propane tank since we moved across country...so I'll have to update when I get a chance!

Asian Chicken Skewers
Recipe from Crockpot, The Original Slow Cooker

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Cut each thigh into 4 pieces about 1 1/2 inches thick and thread chicken onto wooden skewers, folding thinner pieces if necessary. Place skewers in a slow cooker layering them as flat as possible.
Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and garlic in small bowl. Reserve 1/3 cup sauce, set aside. Pour remaining sauce over skewers. Cover; cook on LOW 2 hours. Turn skewers over and cook 1 hour longer.
Transfer skewers to serving platter. Discard cooking liquid. Spoon on reserved sauce and sprinkle with sliced green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.

No comments: