Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sizzling Sesame Beef

(I always use my own pictures, but sometimes dinner time is a bit crazy and in this case there weren't any leftovers by the time I remembered a picture, so picture source: Good Housekeeping)
Whenever I find recipes I think I might like out of magazines I tear them out and put them in a drawer next to my cookbooks. I finally got to organizing that drawer this past week and am I ever glad I did or I might not have found this recipe. It's simple and yet delicious. I love the flavors of everything and that it's a well rounded healthy meal. It has definitely been added to our family favorites for sure.

Sizzling Sesame Beef
Recipe from Good Housekeeping Magazine Jan 2010
Serves 4

1 pound beef sirloin steak 1 inch thick
1 cup jasmine rice
2 green onions, white portions cut into 2 inch chunks, green portions thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed with press (or chopped very fine)
4 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 pound broccoli florets

Place the steak in freezer and prepare rice as label directs. Meanwhile in a large bowl (this will be for the broccoli when it's cooked), combine 1 Tbsp sliced green onions, 1 tsp garlic, 2 tsp sesame oil, and 1/4 tsp salt; set aside. In a 12 inch skillet, heat 1 inch water to boiling on high.

Take cold steak out of freezer and cut across grain into thin slices. In a shallow bowl, combine 2 tsp sugar, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, green onion chunks and the remaining garlic. Toss the steak slices with this mixture, coating evenly and set aside.

By now the water in the skillet should be boiling. Add broccoli and cook 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain well. Place in the same bowl as the onion-garlic mixture and toss well. Cover to keep warm.

In the same skillet heat the remaining 2 tsp oil on high until hot. Add beef in single layer; cook 2 minute. Stir in remaining sliced green onions and 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining 1 Tbsp soy sauce. Serve with rice and broccoli. (I drizzled the rice with a small amount of soy sauce too)

No comments: