Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Pico De Gallo

I LOVE pico! So does my 7 year old daughter. In fact when I made steak fajitas last week, we ate all of the pico before dinner was served and ended up having to make another batch! lol For that reason I doubled my original recipe so that you will have plenty for the family. But you could also half it to serve 2-3 people. Super simple. You can also add a chopped garlic clove if you'd like. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. 

Simple Pico de Gallo
makes about 3 cups 

6 medium Roma tomatoes
1 small white onion (or red)
1 jalapeno pepper
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup or so of chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the tomatoes in half and take out the seeds under running water. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces, and add to a mixing bowl. Finely dice the onion and the jalapeno (remove the seeds if desired). Toss the onion and jalapeno in the bowl with the tomatoes. Add the chopped cilantro and mix well finishing up with the lime juice and salt and pepper. It's better if you can refrigerate it for about 15-20 minutes so the flavors will settle. 

Note: When I want a "kicked up" guacamole, I will make a half a batch of this pico and mix it with 3-4 mashed avocados. Heavenly.

1 comment:

Gratefulfoodie said...

On cue, you posted a fabulous looking pico de Gallo recipe! I love pico, but never learned how to make it. I just need some lime and I'm ready to go!