Thursday, December 11, 2014

Kalua Pork

Hawaiian Style Slow Cooker Kalua Pork www.pineappleandcoconut.com  Just like what you have a luau without having to dig a pit in your yard to cook it!
My sister in law Kelli made a version of this for us this summer and we loved it! It can't get any simpler, only uses 4 ingredients, and is really really yummy!  We ate it too fast for a picture, so I borrowed the above pic from the same place I adapted the recipe from hereWe had ours over rice and I used a 4 pound roast. I think I did about 5 ounces of spinach but that could have easily been doubled-just depends on how much you like spinach. ;)

Kalua Pork
Serving size varies (4 pound roast will feed 4-6)

1 4-6 pound pork Butt roast
1 Tbsp liquid smoke, hickory flavored
2-3 tsp red Hawaiian sea salt (or just sea salt if you can't find Hawaiian)
Bag of washed spinach (5 + more ounces depending on your liking)

Pat the roast dry (and you can trim some of the fat if you feel like you need to, but really that's what gives it the flavor). Pierce all over with a fork and rub it liberally with sea salt. Place it in a slow cooker and pour the liquid smoke evenly over the roast. Cook on low for 8-12 hours (I did mine for 10 hours). 

Once it's done shred the entire thing up right in the crockpot (this is where you could trim some of the fat you notice too as you are shredding), add a bag of spinach and stir it all together. Cover and cook 5-10 more minutes or until the spinach is wilted. 
Serve over rice.


1 comment:

Gratefulfoodie said...

This is my kind of recipe for a busy day! I will try this for sure! Thank you for sharing.