Monday, May 25, 2009

Monkey Bread

Monkey Bread

As the name suggests, this is such a fun recipe for families and especially kids. One treat I really get down about my son missing out on is cinnamon rolls. I've tried a lot of recipes out there using rice milk, dairy free margarine and dairy free frosting, but I'm telling you right now that I will never fuss with those methods again. This monkey bread has the same flavor as a cinnamon roll, but is easier and funner to eat. The entire time my 3 1/2 year old son was devouring his 4 pieces he kept saying, "I LOVE monkey bread!" "This monkey bread is YUMMY!" "Monkeys love monkey bread!" "If you leave a trail of bread and raisins monkeys will eat it all up." I will even admit that after eating the first batch in one day I made another one the next day because he begged me to, and I love seeing him really enjoy something dairy free.
*Notes for success: Make sure you use a bunt cake pan and NOT an angel food cake pan (or two piece) or all of the sauce will leak out of the bottom. You might think it would be easier to just pour the sauce over the top of the pieces in the pan, but they won't get fully coated and they also won't pull apart as easily as when each piece is coated seperately. I made the dough in a bread machine and it turned out perfect, but you can also make it by hand.
Monkey Bread
Recipe adapted from Darren & Debbie @ allrecipes.com

1 cup water
2 tablespoons dairy free margarine, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup dairy free margarine (or butter if you don't have allergies)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
  1. Combine warm water (110 degrees) and yeast in a large bowl and let stand 10 minutes until foamy. Add margarine, sugar, cinnamon and mix. Add the salt and then the flour. Once the dough starts pulling from the sides of the bowl, take it onto the counter and knead. Put back in the bowl and put in a warm spot to rise until it doubles in size, about 1 hour. After an hour, punch down. *In a bread machine, add the first 7 ingredients in order (or how your manufactor indicates). Make sure no liquid comes in contact with the yeast. Select dough cycle and press start.

  2. When dough is complete, place dough on floured surface and knead 10 to 12 times. Roll out about an inch thick and cut dough into 1 inch chunks (use a pizza cutter)

  3. In a medium saucepan on low heat, melt 1/2 cup of margarine, stir in brown sugar and raisins and stir until smooth over medium heat. Remove from heat.

  4. Drop one chunk at a time into the butter sugar mixture. Using tongs or fork, heavily coat dough pieces, then layer them loosely in a greased Bundt or tube pan, staggering layers so you're plopping each dough chunk over a space between two below. Let rise in a warm, draft-free spot for 15 to 20 minutes.

  5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, place a plate face down in top of the pan and, using oven mitts to hold plate on pan, turn over both until bread slides out onto plate. Don't cut! The pieces just pull apart. Serve warm and enjoy!
*You can also buy refridgerated biscuit dough (about three 12 ounce pkgs), cut them up and then coat them in a cinnamon and sugar mixture before dunking them into the sauce.

6 comments:

Sarah E. Hoffman said...

Hey, I've never had a desire to make monkey bread - mainly because I don't know what to expect from it - but I love cinnamon buns - so I'll have to try. Plus it's a good excuse to buy a bundt pan!

FPIESmommy said...

I made it tonight - awesome!!! :)

Brooke said...

yummmy this looks delicious!!!!:)

Nicole said...

Sarah- I know, I went out and bought one too! :)

FPIESmommy- I am so glad you tried these and they turned out. You better watch out though because they are so addicting!

Anonymous said...

Just made this, very tasty but, came out a bit hard, not sure what I did wrong.

Nicole said...

Anonymous-
Hmm...not sure why it would be hard. I do think the edges around have a bit of crunch to them, but they definitely aren't hard. Did you add more than the 3 cups of flour when you were kneading it out? Also did you use all of the butter mixture or did you pour the leftovers over the top? I'm pretty sure I just coat the pieces and then if I have any leftover I just toss it. Maybe there was too much butter or it was just cooked to long. Hope those suggestions help! Let me know