Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Kale Salad

 If you are sick of the same old salad, you have got to give this a try. I had never eaten kale before my sister gave me this recipe to try, and I have to say I just love this recipe and make it almost every week now. When you buy kale in the store it's a light green in color and kind of firm, but after you massage it with salt like in this recipe, it takes on the color and consistency of spinach. It's definitely healthy and super good for you, but don't let that throw you off- it has the perfect combination of flavors and gets even better after it's been refrigerated a few days. Like my sister suggested, I make a batch and then eat it for lunch througout the week. (if I'm prepared I won't try to eat all my daughters mac and cheese :) I make mine with almonds and crasins- so delish!

Kale Salad
Recipe from Bre Hamideh

1-2 bunches kale
1 tsp salt
1/4 medium-small red onion, thinly sliced or diced
1/3 cup chopped almonds or nuts of choice
1/3 cup craisins or dried fruit of choice
1 large avocado, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar


Soak kale in water to loosen any dirt. Wash individual leaves as you de-stem them (pull leaf away from thickest parts of stem) Shake dry. Chiffonade leaves (stack, roll and slice into thin ribbons) and put in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt all over kale and, using your hands, massage kale for 3-4 minutes. After about a minute you'll notice a big difference in the leaves-they'll start to soften and turn dark gream almost as though you were steaming them. When done, drain off any liquid that collects on bottom of bowl (if any). Add nuts, diced avocado, onions and craisins to bowl. Pour olive oil and apple cider vinegar evenly over bowl of goodies, then toss with tongs until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.

No comments: