Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Caribbean Rice


Oh man is this rice good and packed with flavor! Your family will be going crazy over the aroma it causes in your kitchen :) I couldn't find the Mrs. Dash flavor it asked for in my grocery store, so I just used the original blend in mine and it turned out fabulous. If you want a rounded out meal broil some chicken seasoned with 1 tsp of the Mrs. Dash to serve along with the rice. I also love to serve this rice with these Asian Chicken Skewers. I've also made it with green bell pepper and corn instead of peas- you can really use whatever you have.

Carbibbean Rice
Recipe from Family Circle Hometown Favorites
Serves 4

2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Caribbean Citrus seasoning (or use Original Blend)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 small yellow pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
4 scallions, thinly sliced

Place broth and 3/4 cup water in a medium-size saucepan and bring to boil. Stir in 1 tsp of the citrus seasoning, salt and the rice. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered for 30 minutes. Stir in peas, yellow pepper and scallions (leave some if you want to garnish). Cook for 15 more minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

That looks delicious! I'm going to have to try it!:)

abby said...

i just stumbled upon your blog and am in love. wanted to thank you for putting all of these recipes out there. i have a two year old with severe dairy allergies and i am starting to get in a rut with my cooking. i am so excited to try your recipes and to have this as a resource. THANK YOU! keep up the awesome work.

Nicole said...

Abby-
Thank you so much for the sweet comment! I am definitely not out there to compete with all the amazing cooking blogs out there (or their pictures LOL) I created this blog soley for people like you who just need some ideas. Glad I can help! Email me if you ever have any questions about anything at all :)