Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pasta e Fagioli

I've been making this for a few years now ever since my sister in law shared it with me. The nice thing is you can really change the quantities to suit you and your family just like I did when she gave it to me.  The best part is it will make your kitchen smell amazing! I served it tonight with this hearth bread (with some olive oil and seasons to dip), and sparkling cider for the kids. It felt like the perfect Italian dinner!

Pasta e Fagioli
Recipe adapted from Kelli Melin
Serves 5-6 (you can cut it in half easily)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp dried onion flakes or 1 green onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 cans great Northern beans, drained well
1 cup chicken broth (I make it using chicken bouillon cube)
2 cans diced tomatoes with juices
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups dry small pasta shells, cooked al dente and drained

Cook the noodles if you haven't already. Heat up oil and saute onions, carrot, celery and garlic until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the beans, broth, tomatoes and juices, and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, stir in pasta, parsley and salt and pepper. Simmer covered about 5 minutes.

3 comments:

Lacey Meadows said...

Just came upon your blog, It is great. Have a 5 year old that is allergic to all things dairy. Great recipes!

Thank you for sharing!

Mommy King said...

I love Pasta E Fagioli and my daughter is allergic to dairy, so I was thrilled to find your blog! My house smells so awesome right now! Thank You! I'll be back!

Nicole said...

Mommy King- I'm so happy to hear you liked it! I LOVE the way it makes my house smell too...nothing better! (Except maybe some fresh warm bread to go with it! lol)